Frequently Asked Questions

If you believe you have been sexually assaulted there are a variety of steps you can take:

The University of Arizona Police Department investigates all allegations of sexual assault reported to the Department. If the assault occurred outside the jurisdictional responsibility of UAPD, the Department will assist the victim with notification and reporting to the proper law enforcement agency. When a report of sexual assault is received, an officer will immediately be dispatched to seek medical attention for the victim, investigate the crime and provide other assistance. UAPD utilizes the resources of the Southern Arizona Center Against Sexual Assault when investigating sexual assaults, as well as a support-counseling network of University personnel.

Victims of sexual assault should:

  • Immediately go somewhere safe and report the crime by dialing 9-1-1. Tell the Dispatcher if immediate medical attention is needed.
  • Refrain from washing, bathing, showering, or douching.
  • Refrain from washing clothes or other items worn/used during the sexual assault.
  • Show the officer where these items are located upon his/her arrival. Give as detailed an account of the incident as possible to assist officers with their investigation.

Arizona has a statute that provides the victim the ability to seek medical treatment for the collection of sexual assault evidence without charge to the victim. The victim does not need to aide in prosecution in order to seek medical treatment for the collection of sexual assault evidence. It is the victim who will decide if he/she wishes to pursue criminal charges. All members of the university community are encouraged to report incidents of sexual assault or abuse to the police. Campus authorities including the Dean of Students office, Campus Health and Residence Hall Staff are available to assist a victim in notifying law enforcement. Our primary concern is for the victim’s immediate and long term well being.

Source: Excepted from the 2015 Campus Safety Report available from the UAPD website.

Please note that in order for evidence collection to be most effective sexual assault should be reported within 72 hours.

Medical care:

Medical personnel will assess for injuries, STD or HIV infection, pregnancy and other medical concerns that may have resulted from the assault.  While it is safer to act quickly, medical concerns can be addressed regardless of length of time since the assault occurred.  Medical services available to support you include: Campus Health General Health Services (520-621-6493) and Women’s Health Services (520-621-6512), Planned Parenthood (520-624-1761), Theresa Lee Clinic (520-624-7498), and 24 hour Emergency Medical Care (911).

Emotional support:

Sexual assault is a very serious and traumatizing offense.  It is important to find someone you can talk to about the assault who will make you feel safe and supported.  Services that offer counseling and advocacy for sexual assault victims include the Oasis Program (520-626-2051), the Tucson Rape Crisis Center (520-327-1171) and Campus Health Counseling and Psych Services (520-621-3334).

The following are typically Title IX concerns:

  • Sexual harassment
  • Sex or gender based harassment or discrimination
  • Sexual violence
  • Gender based stalking
  • Relationship violence
  • Pregnancy discrimination
  • Sexual orientation harassment or discrimination
  • Gender identity harassment or discrimination

Sometimes students are reluctant to report a concern because they aren't sure if what they experienced is "bad enough" or is really a violation of law or policy. Students are encouraged to report any concern they have. If a student's concern doesn't warrant disciplinary action/investigation the University can still offer support, assistance, resources, and options. Reporting concerns assists the University's ability to take appropriate action both for the well-being of individual students as well as the University community.

Students involved in the conduct process have an opportunity to bring an advisor to conduct meetings including hearings.

Students are encouraged to report incidents which occur off-campus. The University can investigate if the incident has sufficient ties to the University (if it occurs at a University event, if it involves a UA student, faculty or staff member, etc.).  If there are insufficient ties to the University to allow an investigation students are still encouraged to report so they can be provided with assistance and support. Students are also encouraged to report any potential crime to law enforcement.

The Dean of Students Office is concerned with the well-being of all University of Arizona students. The typical practice of the Office is to not pursue Code of Student Conduct charges for alcohol violations that are self-disclosed during the course of reporting, or while serving as a witness in an investigation related to, potential sexual misconduct.  In certain circumstances the Dean of Students Office may recommend or require wellness approaches or other interventions related to alcohol use. Again, no student should be dissuaded from reporting, or providing information related to, sexual misconduct for fear of disciplinary action related to alcohol consumption.

The annual Campus Safety and Security report is published to provide information including crime statistics and policies and procedures concerning alcohol, drugs, sexual assault and general safety on The University of Arizona campus.  The report can be accessed by going to the UAPD website and clicking on the “Campus Safety & Security Report” link. Anyone, including prospective students and employees, may obtain a paper copy of the report by contacting UAPD at 520-621-8273.

Students can submit the Petition for Retroactive Academic Withdrawal Form by emailing a completed form to Students can contact the Office of Institutional Equity (OIE) at 520-621-9449 with questions. 

If you wish to request a disability accommodation in order to facilitate a meeting (for example, ASL interpreting or assistance with building access) please contact the Office of Institutional Equity at (520) 621-7979 or